Learning
Eu always has something that causes me to worry for him. He still couldn't really walk when he was near 18 months. Could barely speak simple one syllable words when he turned two. Children of three were talking among themselves, while my boy struggled to place words into sentence. A classmate came over to me one morning, when I brought Eu to the classroom. She said to me: "I cannot understand what he is saying!" A boy nearby echoed: "Me too!" I turned into a chatterbox for the rest of the year, trying to engage Eu in more conversation.
Last Friday, his English teacher had talked about her concerns that Eu was not able to sound certain alphabets properly, and suggested getting some phonics enrichment lessons. Huh? Then what is K1 for? Maybe I'm outdated on the schooling system and the expectation of each levels. Aiya, more hair dropping days to come liao lah!
Life arounds two of my precious 


11 Comments:
Don't worry too much. My son at 3 had limited vocab too. But as he turned 3 plus, he started to use more words, even then, his words are not easily understood by others. However, his sisters and us could understand him perfectly.
I believe time will tell. Not all kids develop at the same pace. Some are slower, and shdn't be pressured to speed up.
By
Anonymous, at 21/2/06 02:57
Give Eu and yourself some time. Set a mental timeline though to see how he progresses. Most kids are ok after some time. And they turn out miraculously well.
My suspected autistic god-son is turning out very well now. He couldn't speak properly till 4+ and even then, with fs and ps mixed up. Also mono-syllabically. But he can't stop talking now. K2. End of year kid.
By
Anonymous, at 21/2/06 07:32
I don't want to seem discouraging, but just wanted to ask if you had his hearing checked?
One of my colleague in SGP was telling us the same thing about her kid too, later she found out, he was having hearing problem.
On a more different note, I too heard that lots of kids speak slower than others, and when they do, they will be chatting non stop.. catching up on lost time.
Maybe Eu is just taking his time to do this.
By
Anonymous, at 21/2/06 11:22
Eu is actually youngest in his class right? I remember he has the same birthday as Gavin. His teacher might be comparing with the rest who are older?
If I'm in your shoes, I would also scratch my head leh. They are supposed to teach phonics in school! I suppose she mean more lessons.
I know how you must feel. Even until today, sometimes I look at Gavin and worry because of certain remarks some stupid pple have made to me. I think there's always something to worry about when it comes to our children.
On a positive note, I have had two relatives who had speech problems when they were young. All turned out okay. One is my brother and the other is my niece.
By
Anonymous, at 21/2/06 13:16
Hi. This sounds vaguely similar to what my sister was like years back. She would mix up the 'b's and the 'd's and of course cannot remember words on their own but can only remember them when used in sentences. I think what my Mom did then was to read together with her and sometimes pinpoint a particular word to check on her understanding. Slowly, she began to pick up more words and now, is a more avid books reader than I am.
By
Anonymous, at 21/2/06 14:40
Don't worry lah... Ophelia was still babbling babytalk until she was almost 3. We were so worried, mainly I was scared that she was not hearing well. That might affect her speech learning. So we tested her and found that she is normal. Once kids go to school they will pick up speech...
By
Anonymous, at 21/2/06 18:40
Don't worry too much, kids develope at their own pace. I have a colleague's child who only start talking by the age of 4! And he's now a fine young man who just completed his degree and going on for his masters! :)
By
Anonymous, at 22/2/06 09:05
When a teacher has unfavourable comment abt my kid, I always get panicky at least for a day, before I can calm down and think properly. Will monitor for a while, and probably send him to a so-called proven effective phonics class, if he shows no sign of improvement. Thanks for all your encouragements!
By
ky, at 22/2/06 16:32
From what little I know, kids do develop at different paces, but when they catch up, they're right up there together with the rest of their peers. I think the age factor is also something else to consider - as we all know, at this early stage, months do matter. So hang in there and be confident - sometimes you're ahead, sometimes you're behind, but ultimately, the race is only with yourself!
By
Anonymous, at 22/2/06 21:28
Hi,
I got to your blog through mama blur. My elder son got the same problem in speaking too. His situation was quite bad and initially i thot he had hearing problem too. After confirming his ears are ok, I brought him to a speech therapist in Mt Alvernia. The first consulation is about $80 per hr. Subsequently it is around $60. The therapist is a very nice lady, and makes great effort to engage my boy in a conversation. You can try making an appt w them. Call the rehabilitation centre (tel: 63476203), and ask for a speech therapy appt. It will help alot. After one month of intensive training (everyday train one or two hrs), my boy speaks more confidently in K1, and no longer being laughed at by his friends. In fact, the teacher even told me that he has made vast improvement in speech and shows great confidence in talking to his peers.
By
Anonymous, at 24/2/06 11:58
Thanks, Mrs Tan. Now there's one more place to turn to if needed. Appreciate your valuable comment.
By
ky, at 3/3/06 14:49
Post a Comment
<< Home