Little Foot Steps

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Is my child suffering from ADHD?

My long time fear seems to be turning into reality. Had a short talk with the school's principal, and the feedback was not very welcoming. The speech and drama teacher said she cannot handled Eu. He could not concentrate or pay attention in class. He will start to disturb the rest of the children, or make funny gesture or sound. Hard or soft punishment approach has no effect on him anymore.

Probably I will get him evaluate by a specialist, will need to have a talk to our family doctor first. But my greatest worry, will others see him as a nuisance and outcast him? This probably will make matter worse. Already, I could feel the tension and hostile in the speech and drama class. It's just that they did not say it straight on my face, to withdraw my kid from the lesson. *sigh*

15 Comments:

  • Hey, I know how you feel. I'm actually worried that my boy is suffering from this too. Get him evaluated and see what happens.

    For schools, it all depends. Some schools, like what I've encountered before, and like what you're facing now are downright prejudiced. So if that is the case, it'll be better for the kid to go to a friendlier environment, which is able to accept him. It will not do him any good. But you should still get a expert to evaluate before deciding.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/4/06 16:17  

  • Eu is just a little mischievous or ok a lot but I do not believe he is suffering from hyperactivity disorder. He does show lots of patient in things that interest him e.g playing toy car with his uncle Jeffrey.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/4/06 17:05  

  • Thanks Kat, for the comforting words! Will see how after the parent-teacher-principal meet. Most probably the school will need to get involve to get a more accurate assessment

    By Blogger ky, at 6/4/06 18:03  

  • Take heart, he's likely to be very inteligent, curious about things and surroundings. Do update though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/4/06 00:38  

  • Does he eat lots of sweet stuff? Apparently, sugar may be the cause of ADHD. Try limiting that and see if there's any change.

    Don't worry too much too. He's just active and needs more one-to-one attention. Try putting him in a school with a smaller teacher-students ratio.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/4/06 02:18  

  • Actually, do you think it could also be because he is just not interested in that lesson? Cos you mentioned speech and drama class in particular. If he's paying attention to other things that he is interested in, maybe he is okay?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/4/06 08:42  

  • Aiyoh...that earlier comment was me lah...I pressed the wrong identity. That's my blogger id.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/4/06 08:44  

  • Hahhaa.., thot which indian is looking at my blog, then realise the name should be read as viva-japan! :P

    He is very good at maths and computer. Good memory too. Did ask him before if he likes the speech and drama lessons. And his answer was positive. He is always excited abt it, which surprise me to know that the teacher is having problem with him.

    The school he attends is already having a smaller teacher to student ratio, compared to most pre-school. Probably the teachers are not trained in handling special kids. I do know of one pre-school which has teachers that are trained for special needs kids, but is quite a distant away from my current place of stay. *sigh* Singapore is still very much lack of this kind of special schools and the waiting list will make you to give up. :(

    By Blogger ky, at 7/4/06 09:58  

  • Bring him for evaluation first and then decide later. Maybe it isn't that at all. I'm also a bit worried cos the teachers said my boy has short attention span. Maybe he's just bored...I searched the web and there's a difference - ADHD (a bit more aggressive in behaviour) & ADD (shy). My boy however doesn't disturb the other kids so I'm quite relieved.

    Suprisingly my boy's school is quite friendly. I was told there is a special boy in K1. I don't know what's his case but I've seen him sitting in the classroom. So in a sense, I quite like this school.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/4/06 14:59  

  • Hope everything turns out okay. It's tough when you're told your child has something wrong. Frankly, I'm surprised that the school is not more tolerant - these days when we are all better informed, they should be more encouraging rather than pressuring you to take him out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/4/06 21:45  

  • Maybe Eu just doesn't like Speech and Drama class.. that's why he behaved that way..

    Looking at your other posts, he seem to be able to sit down and eat, play with Tien, doesn't seem like he has ADHD.

    But check with a specialist if that would make you feel better, and confirm he's NOT.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/4/06 11:52  

  • I too think he probably is bored in the class. If he is ADHD, he would have shown signs of it in daily activities too. But still, it is always good to just send him for specialist examination.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/4/06 20:51  

  • Get him evaluated and see how...It may not be ADHD tho'.

    I used to have a student who just can't concentrate because he's too curious about his surroundings.

    DO update here! :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/4/06 12:47  

  • Sorry, i was caught up with work these few days and only see this post today...

    Don't worry too much, i don't think it's ADHD..Damien's teacher told me he can't sit still during story-telling too, i believe kids this age has short attention span, and would only have longer concentration to things that intrest them!:)Probably Eu is just not interested in the drama and speech?

    Do keep us posted though!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/4/06 09:41  

  • Speech and drama is extra lesson which I had enrolled for him with the pre-school he attends. According to his K1 teachers, he is showing behavioral problems, not desmonstrating social traits that his age group should have developed. This is something I'm more worry than his academic performance. I do think he needs help, and hopefully, I can get that fast.

    By Blogger ky, at 12/4/06 13:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers