Little Foot Steps

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

An uneventful visit

Was referred to the Child Guidance Clinic by a polyclinic doctor. I had wanted to go to KK, but the doctor just said something like they will assess first then decide. Looking at the address of the clinic, I thought I was sent to the place I wanted to visit. Managed to get an earlier appointment after I wrote in. The date given initially was late July.

The registration at the clinic was a pain. We were given a file, and told to fill up 6-8 pages of forms which included at least 4 pages of questionnaires. Some of the questions I found them not applicable to my situation, but there's no such choice of answer. Frustration! When we finally met the doctor, we talk more than she did. At the end of the session, all she said was Eu is too young to be assessed if he is suffering from ADHD, and asked us if we like to come back 1 or 2 years later for another assessment. Huh? No further advice or counseling on his behavioral issues. What sort of consultation is this? I was disappointed and lost.

I'm trying to find out more about ovspring. This clinic was recommended by our family doctor. Definitely it's going to cost a bomb, but I hope I get to hear something more helpful.

6 Comments:

  • This sounds really frustrating. At 4, he is not so young. Usually they can start assessing even at 3. This doesn't sound very right to me, the way they just brush this aside for the time being and not giving you more advice.

    Hopefully your alternative consultation will shed you more light. Unfortunately, I do not know much about this to help you further.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/5/06 09:27  

  • I understand how you feel..after going through so much, only to be told to come back 1 or 2 YEARS later?? Goodnes, what are they doing?

    Hope the next doc will be more helpful..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/5/06 17:01  

  • I agree with Sesame that 4 is not too young. Autistic kids are noticed and best tested at 3. So ADHD should too, you reckon?

    By the way, my 'autistic' godson was not sent to any clinic, but was given guidance at home and lots of encouragement. He seems very normal now although socially inadept. His parents identified his strength in sports and engines. He tears electrical things apart and tries to fix them. Amazing! He's turning 6 this year.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/5/06 09:46  

  • Is Eu still in the same school? I came across a school in which they handle kids who have special needs. Take a look over at: http://www.parentsphere.com/user/danialwan/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/5/06 13:05  

  • Did you have to pay to see that dr?

    Gosh.. what kind of service is that..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/5/06 17:59  

  • Think the original fee was around $60, but as I got referred by a govt clinic, I paid a subsidised rate of $14. I couldn't help but wonder was that the reason I get this kind of poor attitude due to that?

    By Blogger ky, at 8/5/06 10:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers