For better?
(1)Eu had caused some bad scratch marks on a boy's jaw after last Friday's phonics class. Nobody saw what or how it actually happened. The boy could not relate what happen too. I believed the teacher thought nothing of it at that time, as I was not informed of the incident at all, until yesterday. The parents must had complained about it on Monday, and me being told then. I am sorry for what my boy did, but why and how Eu managed to hurt another kid in a split second (the principal said it happened very fast, her words split second)? What was the teacher doing at that point? Shouldn't the school bear some responsibilities too, and not push all to a 4 years old kid? She even suggested I have a look at the boy's face? Then what? Compensate him with money?!
(2)To retain Eu in K1 for next year, reason being him having social difficulties with the older children and could not concentrate in class. The principal feels that he will behave better with children born in the same year as him. I just couldn't understand what make her so sure about that? What will the school do if he is still having problem then? Although the school agreed Eu has shown improvement in his speech and writing skill, he is still not ready for K2. But all specialists that had accessed him, felt totally that he could stay on the mainstream. What he needs is lots of guidance and encouragement. That lead me to think about his teachers. Could it be the teachers attitude or teaching method? He was fine in all previous years, but I do recall him being temperamental during the period when one of his current teacher was the class teacher then. Will discuss with the clinic about the school decision and see what they suggest.
With the disappointment in the school, I am more ready to switch him to another more accommodating environment if necessary. Like what hunnybunz mommy had written in one of her post, I hope my children will understand what we had went through for them. Just for them.
Life arounds two of my precious 


12 Comments:
Eu is in a class with older children? How come?
How big is his class? How come the teacher didn't see what had happened?
Sometimes a child behaviour may change b'cos of a teacher or a caregiver. Poor Eu having to go through all these, and it all may just be the teacher's fault.
By
Anonymous, at 27/7/06 17:00
He's a 1st jan kid, and the current education rule puts him to be in the same class as those born a year before him. It used to have a choice: to follow the earlier or the same year batch. But now, it is complusory for all 1st jan kids to follow earlier year batch for schooling, unless being certified by doctors that deferment is needed.
There should be less than 10 children in that lesson. According to the principal, an admin staff came over to check if the teacher wanted to take the school transport, and the incident happened at that moment. :(
By
ky, at 27/7/06 17:17
I have been kind of following on Eu through your writing. I am not specialist but as a teacher, all I can say is some are really very uncompassionate. They could not tolerate children with special needs (Frankly, I don't even see Eu as having special needs!)So, yes, I agree that changing to a more caring environment would be good. I have always prefer a school with more international mix. Thus considering ETON house at the Newton branch. You might want to look them up. Heard many positive feedbacks about them. I also have contacts for private schools who run tests (for hyperactive, for learning difficulties, etc). If u need them, just drop me an email.
By
Anonymous, at 28/7/06 08:58
Thanks, Janice, will definitely look you up when I need help. Thanks for opening the door, and dropping a comment.
By
ky, at 28/7/06 09:25
I also don't like it when they push the blame all onto Eu when no one atually saw or knew anything about. Maybe the other kid provoked Eu....there could be lots of unlying reasons that we do not know and keeping Eu for another extra year for something they are not sure about...i feel, it just not right. I support your decision to change the school. I also didn't liked how the school handled the situation.
By
Anonymous, at 28/7/06 10:51
I have been in your shoe. I will jst have a talk with my boy on what actually happened to see his version of the story. Very often than not, the action is not voluntary. My son has also been poked in the eyes, etc in school. I do not go banging on the door of the school but would check with my son whether he informed the teacher of the incidence & see what the teacher had done about it. Kids will always be kids and such incidence do happen. Split second? I doubt it, though. The school was probably just passing the buck to you so that when the other parents ask what had been done, they can say that they already spoke to Eu's parents about it. Not very tactful, are they? It's good to consider other schools as an option if u r not satisfied. I've changed my son's school at the end of his 2nd year kindy (he goes to 3 years kindy) and it worked out better.
Sorry for being long winded :)
By
IMMomsDaughter, at 28/7/06 14:05
Agreed with the other mamas, i think the school lacks patience in handling kids with special needs (Eu is not even one, from what i see). It seems that they are just concerned about their school's reputation more than anything.
I believe Eu will understand what whatever you're doing, it's because you love him. Take care! :)
By
Anonymous, at 28/7/06 15:02
Yup, get opinion from the clinic before deciding. But it's good you're open to switching school for Eu if necessary. The principal and his teacher already sounded bias about him from the previous conversations. If the decision from the clinic differs from the school, will they be open to it in a positive manner?
Teachers, principals, whatever. Some of them are closed minded. They are guided by their opinions and preferences and may not be fair at all.
By
Anonymous, at 28/7/06 15:11
1st of all, a big thank you to all you mommies out there on the supportive comments. :)
I expect a premier pre-school to have more patience, are able to handle children conflict well, provide a caring environment. It used to be, but it does not seem to be so anymore.
I didn't expect the principal to act in such a insensitive manner: to ask the parent to see what her child had done to the other kid. Together with the retain announcement, my heart just sank to the bottom of no where.
By
ky, at 28/7/06 17:27
Whether is it Eu's fault or not, I find the school lacks the kinda environment all Moms would want, from the way you relate.
Like you mentioned, what was the teacher doing when the incident happened?
Anyway, pre-schools are aplenty these days and there are good ones around too! I would be badly affected if the principal were to tell me such things too...*hugs*
By
Anonymous, at 28/7/06 22:12
Ky, sorry to hear what you need to go thru... not much to comment as all the mommies had said. I just feel that one shd have a heart of empathy not mentioning the school, an institution being the skeleton support for young sprout...
Is good that you planning to change another environment for Eu, Definately the current school's curriculum is not suitable for Eu.
Cheer up and Good luck to you :)
By
Anonymous, at 31/7/06 14:53
It really looks like the school handled the whole incident with the scratch very badly. As immomsdaughter said, kids will be kids, and the way they chose to resolve it sounds very unprofessional - what were they expecting you to do?
Definitely explore switching schools.
By
Anonymous, at 4/8/06 22:43
Post a Comment
<< Home