5 Childhood Memories of Food
1. 芋虾
Pronounce as "woo-ha". So far, I only know of one person who knows exactly what this is, besides my family. It's a very traditional Cantonese snack made of yam, and I only get to eat it during Chinese New Year but not any more. The yam is cut into very fine strips, coat with flour, roll into balls and deep fried. Cutting yam into fine strips is not an easy task and there is no way you can get the correct texture by simply getting the help of a vegetable shaver. And because of that, my mom never attempt to make it at all. All the 芋虾 I have eaten were all made by my grand aunt, who is now too old to do the cutting.
2. 角仔
Another Cantonese snack which I only had the chance to eat during Chinese New Year. They resemble tiny curry puffs but the filling are pounded peanuts fried with sugar. It's the only Chinese New Year snack mom will make for the occasion, and she is good at it. Due to the amount of work involved, she stopped making them when her children lost interest in them.
3. Chocolate finger biscuit wrapped in colored foil
At one point in time, my father, without fail, will carry me to a nearby provision store to buy one of these nicely wrapped up chocolate finger biscuit for me. This is the sweetest memory I have for my father. The routine stopped after we shifted out of the neighbourhood.
4. Tu-tu kueh
Think this is what it's called. It is sold by mobile vendor which made them on the spot. The kueh is shaped like a flower, white in colour and there is a choice of filling: coconut or peanut. Everytime when mom brings me to chinatown, we are sure to meet one such vendor at one of the alley.
5. Pancake
On some weekend mornings, mom will make pancake for breakfast. Not the "ang-moh" type, but more chinese style. She uses the wok not pan and the batter consistency is more watery. I would say it looks more like crepes than pancake, but we have been calling it as pancake since day one. The way we eat it is to spread the pancake with lots of butter and sugar, roll it up and put it into your mouth.
Pronounce as "woo-ha". So far, I only know of one person who knows exactly what this is, besides my family. It's a very traditional Cantonese snack made of yam, and I only get to eat it during Chinese New Year but not any more. The yam is cut into very fine strips, coat with flour, roll into balls and deep fried. Cutting yam into fine strips is not an easy task and there is no way you can get the correct texture by simply getting the help of a vegetable shaver. And because of that, my mom never attempt to make it at all. All the 芋虾 I have eaten were all made by my grand aunt, who is now too old to do the cutting.
2. 角仔
Another Cantonese snack which I only had the chance to eat during Chinese New Year. They resemble tiny curry puffs but the filling are pounded peanuts fried with sugar. It's the only Chinese New Year snack mom will make for the occasion, and she is good at it. Due to the amount of work involved, she stopped making them when her children lost interest in them.
3. Chocolate finger biscuit wrapped in colored foil
At one point in time, my father, without fail, will carry me to a nearby provision store to buy one of these nicely wrapped up chocolate finger biscuit for me. This is the sweetest memory I have for my father. The routine stopped after we shifted out of the neighbourhood.
4. Tu-tu kueh
Think this is what it's called. It is sold by mobile vendor which made them on the spot. The kueh is shaped like a flower, white in colour and there is a choice of filling: coconut or peanut. Everytime when mom brings me to chinatown, we are sure to meet one such vendor at one of the alley.
5. Pancake
On some weekend mornings, mom will make pancake for breakfast. Not the "ang-moh" type, but more chinese style. She uses the wok not pan and the batter consistency is more watery. I would say it looks more like crepes than pancake, but we have been calling it as pancake since day one. The way we eat it is to spread the pancake with lots of butter and sugar, roll it up and put it into your mouth.
Writing the above, had indeed brought back many fond memories when I was still that little. To finish off this meme, I will need to name the five person (inclusive of me) that were tagged before, and to tag at least three bloggers. Here goes:
Previous taggers: Helen, Zara's Mama, The Diva, Blur-blur and me.
Being tagged: Sesame, Ange and Hsin.
Please don't black-list me for those being tag by me.
Life arounds two of my precious 


9 Comments:
Kwa-kwa...5 kinds of childhood food that i no longer eat! Very difficult to remember...
By
Anonymous, at 9/12/05 23:28
I also liked the chocolates. I tried all the time to save the tin foil wrappings, and had a collection of them :)
By
Anonymous, at 10/12/05 00:18
This is fun. Thanks for tagging me. It brings back good old memories.
I used to like Tutu Kueh and all sorts of Nonya kuehs too.
By
Anonymous, at 10/12/05 09:11
Thanks for giving me "face" leh..:)
Yup, it did brought back fond memories of our childhood days huh..:)
I like the tutu kueh and the chocolate biscuit as well..:)and my mum make those "pancakes" too, she still does...:)
By
Anonymous, at 10/12/05 11:13
Though it did take much effort to write this, but it sure was fun!
By
ky, at 10/12/05 15:40
Thanks for tagging me. I didn't see it till today, so sorry there - I wasn't being dao, just haven't been surfing much the last couple of days.
By
Anonymous, at 11/12/05 12:51
Chocolate finger biscuit wrapped in colored foil, is it those made in China ones?
I used to have them as well.
You should ask your mum to pass you the Kok-Jai recipe ler.. don't let the tradition dies. :P I love kok-jai too, maybe you can ask your mum to give me the recipe. :P
The Woo-Ha sounds delicious.. Actually I love anything with yam.
Yummy ler.. think about all these child hood food.
By
Anonymous, at 11/12/05 22:01
Sesame: I also had the same thinking, when I found I was tagged. But, when I started writing, I realised it wasn't that tough ;)
Diva: Wow! U kept the foil! I had a collection of those little plastic pad you find on the bottom of the soft drink bottles' caps instead.
Ange: Glad you don't hate it :)
Hsin: Don't worry, no problem :)
Zara's Mama: Not sure leh, to me at that time, it tasted like europe made chocolate, hahahaaa...
By
ky, at 12/12/05 22:33
Oooh, I love the kok zais. Drool whenever i think of them. But when I taste one that is lau hong, wah, it turns me off totally. I also like the chocolates in foil. Hmmm... I think Cadbury sells them. Think I'll get some this Christmas. Drooling...
By
Anonymous, at 13/12/05 12:22
Post a Comment
<< Home